Frequently Asked Questions

Common Questions About Treating Mold and Effects of Mold Exposure


Q:

What are the primary causes and concerns of Mold Infestation?

A:

Mold exists in all structures and can be considered Nature's 'Clean-up Crew' because it feeds on moisture and dead or decaying matter. Mold colonies produce milions of spores that float in the air and land on all surfaces and invade the HVAC system of the building if their is poor filtration, and can ultimately cause a multitude of health issues. Many building materials such as untreated wood, sheet-rock, MDF, etc. support mold growth. Even dust that has settled on these materials or furniture can be a food source for mold. Just like humans, mold needs food to survive, and it is pefectly happy eating your home, as well as you, if you allow it.

Health risks can arise when mold spore and mycotoxin counts reach higher levels in your indoor environment, and most people (including many doctors) do not realize the severity of long-term mold exposure. According to the EPA, all indoor mold growth should be removed promptly using the correct safety precautions and protocols, no matter what type(s) of mold are present in the home.

Not all molds are considered 'toxic' to the human body; however, about 25-30% of the population is highly allergic to most molds and will display different symptoms, depending on the person and severity of the allergy. For example, the Mayo Clinic put together a study several years ago that found that 93% of all chronic sinus infections were direclty caused by mold/fungal exposure. Unfortunately, most doctors in the US still think that sinus infections are caused by bacteria and treat them as such -- and in the worst cases, surgery is performed. However, usually the surgery is only a temporary fix, especially if the mold issues are not addressed at home or at work, and the patient often has to go back for more surgery 3-5 years later.


Q:

Where does mold come from and where does it most commonly reside?

A:

Mold only needs a few things to grow and multiply rapidly: Nutrients, oxygen, and moisture. Molds can grow almost anywhwere when there is enough moisture content or humidity in the air. The moisture can come from anywhere - steam, moist air from outdoors or the HVAC system, plumbing leak or water intrusion, and a host of other factors. Mold often appears as a staining or fuzzy growth on furniture, walls, ceilings, or anything made of wood or paper. It can smell like an earthy or musty odor, although in many cases it is undetectable. It can come in many colors, ranging from white, gray, brown, black, yellow, green and orange.


Q:

What promotes mold exposure?

A:

Your exposure to mold increases when indoor moldy materials become dried, damaged or disturbed, causing the colony to release millions of spores into the air. Consequently, the spores are inhaled after being distributed throughout the building or structure via the air ducts or other means. Elevated exposure to mold may also occur when a person direclty handles moldy materials or attempts to clean live mold before completely and safely eradicating it.


Q:

Can't I just use bleach to elimate the mold problem?

A:

Bleach does not kill mold, it only removes the stain left behind. When you treat mold in your bathroom with bleach or a bleach containing product, you effectively eliminate the appearance, but it will return to the same place, over and over again. Additionally, bleach is highly toxic to the human body and should only be used for cleaning when absolutely necessary.


Q:

Will paint and/or primer kill mold?

A:

The simple answer is NO. It can seal the problem area for a short while, but it will eventually return. After our treatment plan is complete, it is a great time to prime. We recommend the use of an oil-based primer. Water-based primers are ok as well, but not nearly as effective.


Q:

Are newer homes and buildings immune to mold problems?

A:

Unfortunately no they are definitely not immune. Building materials, lumber and trusses sitting outside in the rain too long can all become infested and the mold can show up several months after the struture is completed. Mold will lay dormant until the moisture in the air reaches a certain level, and at that point it will reactivate the colony.


Q:

How are condos and apartment complexes affected?

A:

There are a large amount of condominium and apartment complexes that have one more units that have suffered leaks or water damage at one point or another in their lifetime. When a leak or water intrusion event happens, it almost always means mold will begin to grow in the affected area. Because of the close living proximity of units in these complexes, the mold can spread from unit to unit fairly easily.


Q:

How can mold affect one's health?

A:

This answer is not meant to scare you, but it is real. Mold can grow in the lungs, sinuses, and many other areas of the body. It can cause chronic fatigue, brain fog, poor memory, chronic respiratory infections and sinusitis, as well as severely compromising the immune system if exposed to enough mycotoxins. Reoccuring bronchitis and/or other respiratory ailments can be a big symptom of a toxic indoor environment.


Q:

What are the ancillary benefits of Purify's indoor air treatment?

A:

Our treatment is approved for decontamination for red bag rooms, bio-hazards, blood, fecal matter, linens, and needles used in the medical industry and in hosptials. It effectively kills MRSA as well as many other aerobic and anaerobic contaminants.